Rehabilitation of Degraded Forest
The following activities are proposed for degraded forest rehabilitation in the Eco-Restoration Model (ERM):
- Protection of the selected areas from grazing, fire and other human activities, which are main causes of degradation of these areas.
- Soil and moisture conservation measure, like construction of check dams, gully plugging, training of streams, digging of contour furrows along with seed sowing before silvicultural operations/under planting/ block plantations.
- Silvicultural operations like singling, pruning and tending of already present rootstock to augment in-situ tree growth.
- Artificial regeneration through afforestation activities in areas, which are blanks and poorly stocked.
- Establishment of community managed nurseries in the VP areas and strengthening of departmental nurseries for supply of quality seedings.